Civic Leadership Academy
The Park Forest Civic Leadership Academy allow you to really know your community by meetings its current and emerging leaders, and getting a behind-the-scenes look at local government and civic operations.
In this highly educational, interactive nine-month academy, you'll:
- Explore your ability to critically think about how to resolve important issues impacting the community.
- Participate in dialogue on a wide range of community topics including education, housing and social equity, recreational programming, arts and culture, and economic development and planning.
- Be part of a select group of diverse participants, all focused on the same goal: to further your understanding of your community.
- Take part in an invaluable networking opportunity where you'll be exposed to a host of local contacts.
HIGH SCHOOL & COLLEGE STUDENTS
The Park Forest Civic Leadership Academy is a great resume builder and illustrates your commitment to being a leader. Your involvement in the program is perfect for strengthening your college applications for undergraduate or graduate programs.
High school students, with permission from the guidance office, are credited with excused absences one Friday a month to participate in the program.
ADULTS | WORKING PROFESSIONALS & JOB SEEKERS
The Park Forest Civic Leadership Academy exposes working professionals to numerous area organizations and leadership. Through a host of networking opportunities and information sharing, you'll graduate from the academy with professional contacts, professional development hours, and involvement in a leadership development program - all highly appealing to current and prospective employers.
Conflicts with working hours and program hours can sometimes be eliminated by a work supervisor granting permission to take part in the program by adjusting your hours accordingly or considering the hours you participate in the program as professional development hours.
For many, retirement does not mean the end of involvement in the community. In fact, retirement can sometimes mark a new beginning for involvement in the community. Seniors looking for opportunities to become more engaged in Park Forest, or interested in simply learning more about their community, have found the Park Forest Civic Leadership Academy ideal for gaining exposure to a number of area groups and organizations.
VIEW A VIDEO ABOUT THE ACADEMY FEATURING GRADUATES OF THE PROGRAM
- Must be a Park Forest resident
- Submit your completed application before August 4, 2023
- Be available to attend classes on the first Friday of the month, from 8:30 a.m. to 3:30 p.m., from September to May
- For those accepted, submit a $100 program fee by September 1 to hold your seat
- Be passionate about community
- Gain a broad perspective of the community
- Strengthen your network, resume, and, if you're a high school student, your college admissions applications by participating